WHAT DO I WEAR FOR HEADSHOTS?
- You should wear the color(s) that look the best on you! I always suggest colors that compliment your skin and bring out your eyes. You always want your eyes to pop! Avoid clothing with large or noticeable labels. And most important, please have all clothing be as wrinkle free as possible. Retouching wrinkles takes a very long time and a lot of hard work, and it often leaves the picture looking unnatural.
- For girls, you should wear solid colors or very minimal patterns. Sweaters, v-necks, scoop-necks, and tank tops are all great options in both tops and dresses. Try to steer clear of tube tops, thin and/or loose spaghetti straps, or regular t-shirts. Also if you wanna opt for some cleavage that is great. It can show a little sass and sex appeal, but too much can be distracting. Too much jewelry can also draw attention away from your face, which is not what we want because your face is what matters for headshots! Stick with simple, simple, simple. Be conscious of your bra choices as well when thinking about an outfit(s). Wearing one that shows through or a bra where the straps are all over the place can be very distracting as well.
- For guys, you should also wear solid colors or very minimal patterns. Sweaters, v-necks, scoop-necks, henley shirts, and button downs are all perfect for headshots! Even a button down with a bowtie and jacket can be great if that is your desired look. Like I said with the girls, keep the jewelry to a minimum. Simple is best. Also no wrinkly clothes please!
WHAT ABOUT FOR BEAUTY & LIFESTYLE + FAMILY PORTRAITS?
- This is where you get to have a lot more fun! You can wear whatever you want as long as the clothes are as wrinkle free as possible. Grungy, elegant, preppy, risqué, cute, boho, etc. Anything is great! :)
WHAT ABOUT HAIR & MAKEUP?
- Sleepless In The City does not provide hair or makeup. You should come to your session completely ready in not only your first outfit, but also with your hair and makeup done as well.
- For girls, hair can be pretty much any way you like! Whatever makes you feel comfortable. Most opt for hair down, but there is no pressure for any specific look. Just make sure your hair is brushed or at least neat and not too messy. Try to keep hair styled away from the face. Bangs and such are totally fine, just as long as they don’t hang over your eyes. Please make sure that hair ties are not left on your wrists! Those things are evil when trying to edit them out!
- For guys, it’s the same as the girls! You can have your hair any way you would like. Just as long as it looks neat and kempt. Even messy hairstyles can look well groomed. You don’t wanna look like you just rolled out of bed in your headshots!
WHAT HAPPENS DURING A SESSION? WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT?
- Well first things first. We must discuss what you are looking for and choose a package that works best for you. After that we pick out a date, time, and place and then you send over your non-refundable deposit of $75.00. Once the perfect day/time/location for our shoot is selected and confirmed, I will send over a basic contract for you to sign. Once that is taken care of and that magical day of our session arrives, we will meet up at a predetermined location. Once we meet we will immediately jump into our shoot. Depending on what package you chose, we will either stay in one place or go from location to location. The locations will never be far from each other. We will shoot for the time allotted by your chosen package and at this point your job is over for the time being! I will then pick the best images from the session and send you a link to a private gallery of proofs (low res, unedited images) that serve as a way for you to pick your favorite shots. You receive however many retouched images your chosen package states. Once you have chosen your final image(s) that you want retouched, I will begin the editing process. Once I am finished I will use GoogleDrive to deliver your final, retouched pictures to you! And wooooo! That’s it! Easy right?!
CONTRACT? WHY DO I HAVE TO SIGN A CONTRACT?
- The purpose of a contract is to protect you as a client and Sleepless In The City as a business. Just like you sign a contract when you start a new job or when you buy certain services, photography is no different! In case anything doesn't go as planned or you had any questions regarding the process or final product, we can both refer back to the contract instead of going through e-mails, texts, or trying to remember what was said in person or over the phone. A contract exists to protect everyone involved, so it’s a great thing!
WHY ARE HEADSHOTS SO EXPENSIVE? WHY ARE 35MM SHOOTS SO EXPENSIVE?
- You are not alone in wondering this! When I first started musical theatre in high school I was shocked at how expensive headshots were. In NYC for example, average headshot costs run between $650.00 - $1000.00+. And it just gets higher from there. Headshots are crucial to the actor, singer, and dancer's career. They provide a first impression of you even before you've walked in the door, they provide a reminder of you and your performance for the casting directors and creative teams after you've left, and they also serve as a way for you to express yourself as not only a performer, but as a human being too. Headshots have always played a big role in auditioning and casting and you need to be able to put your best foot forward each and every audition and callback. While it may just seem like a simple picture, it says so much about you as an artist and as a person. Each headshot photographer wants you to be able to present yourself in the most authentic, professional, and gorgeous way possible, so that is why you will see higher prices. I personally try to keep mine competitive so everyone can afford them because I know sometimes you really don't have an extra $800.00 just sitting around. A headshot is a really special thing, so I'm so happy to be able to help you create yours!
- As most people above the age of 25 can tell you, 35mm was the way of photography back in the day. You had little film canisters and disposable cameras and would take your film to the nearest drug store to get your pictures developed. Sadly though as the digital age has come and provided us with many incredible advances in photography, the stores who developed 35mm film have significantly decreased and film prices have skyrocketed. It's become a unique and uncommon niche now. These costs are reflected in the price of my film packages. It is extra money, but as a film photographer I can wholeheartedly say it is worth every penny. Film is such an incredible medium and I am so happy to be able to keep sharing the beautiful images that 35mm photography produces with those around me. I'm sure you will love them too :)
SO WHAT HAPPENS IF THERE IS BAD WEATHER? OR I HAVE TO RESCHEDULE?
- Great question! If you have something come up you can reschedule up to 24 hours before your shoot.
- Now if the day of your session arrives and the weather calls for rain or it’s already raining, snowing, storming, or worse, then Sleepless In The City can reschedule the same day as your session for another date and time. While I try to never reschedule like this, if it will be harmful to the equipment and not allow for the model to look their best, then a rescheduled shoot is required. While rescheduling the same day for a later date is rare, it can happen. Sometimes the weather is unpredictable and I want you to have the best photos you possibly can have. That unfortunately can’t happen if you are soaking wet and my camera is broken.
I'M RUNNING LATE! WHAT DO I DO?
- Running late is sometimes inevitable. Life is stressful and messy at times. I totally understand. If you are running late please contact me immediately via text, phone call, or e-mail and let me know your ETA. Try to be as realistic as possible, I promise I won't be mad even if its very late! I know things happen, I just need to know so I can start using that time to see how I can best work with what time we will have and if I can stay later.
- If you are my only client that day, I will do my absolute best to accommodate you within reason, but if I have other clients booked for that day I will unfortunately have to leave at the end of session as it was originally scheduled. So if you are 15 minutes late to an hour long session, we'll be able to get in the remaining 45 minutes of the shoot. If you're 35 minutes late to an hour session, we'll get 25 minutes to shoot and so on.
- So my best advice is to plan in advance and allow yourself plenty of extra time. Have everything ready the night before, have your clothes picked out, start getting ready 30 minutes earlier than you usually do, and make sure to leave plenty of time for traffic or stops for gas.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO GET MY PICTURES? I NEED THEM IN 3 DAYS FOR A BIG AUDITION!
- The time frame and details of the shooting, proofing, and editing processes are laid out in detail within the contract. The time frame between the day of shooting and when you get your final images can be anywhere between 2 and 4 weeks depending on multiple factors. Again, the contract covers all of the necessary information regarding these processes and their time frames. If you need your images by a certain deadline, then we can discuss which expedited plan in addition to your package will be best for you. Don’t hesitate to ask!
I WANT MORE PHOTOS RETOUCHED FROM THE SHOOT. IS THIS POSSIBLE?
- Absolutely! Each additional retouched image is $25. All you have to do is let me know which ones you want and we’ll go from there!
DO YOU GIVE ME PRINTS OF THE RETOUCHED IMAGES?
- No. I personally do not do prints.
WHERE CAN I GET THEM PRINTED? I NEED HELP ADDING MY NAME AND A BORDER. CAN YOU HELP ME?
- I am not familiar with places to print headshots in Raleigh. I always printed mine at Walgreens when I was doing theatre in college. I’m not sure if that is okay to do anymore though! I would check online or on Yelp! I also do not add borders or names to headshots.
CAN I HAVE ALL OF THE PHOTOS FROM THE SHOOT?
- Unfortunately no. While this is a subject that will have each photographer answering differently, I personally do not give the unedited images to the customer. They remain the property of Sleepless In The City.
CAN YOU JUST TAKE PICTURES OF ME BUT NOT EDIT THEM? I’LL EDIT THEM!
- Again this is unfortunately a no.
I’M RUNNING LOW ON MONEY. WE’RE FRIENDS, RIGHT? CAN I BUY YOU DINNER OR TAKE YOU OUT FOR DRINKS? I’LL OWE YOU ONE. I WILL PROMOTE YOUR HEADSHOTS TO ALL OF MY OTHER FRIENDS!
- You would be surprised how many times I get hit with this one! Sadly I can no longer do freebies or trades anymore. Even for people I know and went to school with. Even you, Mom. No freebies for you! :P